Monday, July 11, 2016

A Caracara to Beat the Mid-Summer Doldrums



Particularly in the southern US, when stagnant temperatures hover around 100 degrees, mid-summer is a time when birds become harder to find and birders lead a semblance of a normal life- regular attendance at their day jobs followed by time at home in their air conditioners. In the time frame before shorebirds start their journey south for the fall and breeding birds are not as vocal, a morning out birding can be pretty dull save for the occasional local or state rarity that may show up.  One of these rarities gave me an excuse for my only real birding excursion in the past few weeks however- a continuing Crested Caracara that has become comfortable near the Cape Hatteras, NC lighthouse. As I still consider myself an active NC state lister (even though I am currently residing in nearby GA), a rarity of this scope was an easy choice for me to put the Corolla on the interstate. 

I detoured to the Pilot Mountain area to pick up my girlfriend, Lauren, on the way. I got a few hours of sleep at her place on Friday night and we got off to an early 4am start on Saturday. Five and a half hours later and several cups of coffee brought us to our destination. A couple other birders were already on scene and I was hoping we would get lucky and they would already have the bird scoped out for us. But behold- no such luck! A fruitless hour of walking back and forth around the area did not produce the bird, and we were about to take a lunch and swim break to try again in another hour or two when a carload of birders pulled up. Fantastic! Four of my birding friends from the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area had arrived. It worked out well as they could hold down the fort in case the bird reappeared while Lauren and I were taking a swim and getting lunch. 

About an hour and a half later I got a call from Ed Corey (one of the aforementioned birders)- the bird was back! We ran up from the beach to find the young Crested Caracara picking on the pitiful remnants of an opossum skeleton and surrounded by about twelve birders. Success! NC #368. After clicking off some photos and sharing triumphant grins with all the other birders present, Lauren and I joined Ed, Mark Kosiewski, Jesse Alexander, and Jacob Farmer for a sandwich and a porter to finish off the day in style at a nearby seafood diner. Worth the drive!   

 Crested Caracara: On ground near its favored opossum skeleton (not pictured) and in flight


No comments:

Post a Comment